|ADENA-In the 1790's, Ohio was divided into ten (10) counties and Jefferson County was one of them. Arthur St. Clair who was governor of the
Northwest Territory created a proclamation on July 29, 1797. He formed the fifth county, Jefferson County in the Northwest Territory.
Named after Thomas Jefferson, the county seat-Steubenville was named in honor of Baron von Steuben who was a German drillmaster who took George Washington's ragged troops and turned them into an army.
In 1800, settlers were pouring into the valley of the Ohio River. Ohio was admitted as a state in 1803.
John McLaughlin was a pioneer in the Adena sector in 1801. During a period of religious persecution in Scotland, his father, a Scotchman named James McLaughlin came to the United States earlier from Ireland. John McLaughlin married Ann Johnson and purchased land from a brother-in-law, John Johnson, who had bought it for l2 1/2 cents per acre when it was a wild forest and many kinds of game abounded and howling wolves made the nights, a terror to the settlers. McLaughlin's farm was located on the hill west of Peanut Hill. It was later Strip-mined by Sunshine Mining Company so no trace of his house presently remains. Later, John McLaughlin built a brick farm house, quite possibly the same builder who built the Hamilton's home near York formerly known as Updegraff. Later Adena newcomers were John Naylor, Caleb Kirk, Thomas Carr, Richard Logan, John Cramlet, Nathanial Kollum and Walter Francis.
McLaughlin was elected to the state legislature for eight years and then to the state senate for eight years more in Ohio's state Capitol in Chillicothe, and was an intimate friend of Thomas Worthington, territorial governor of Ohio. Worthington had a beautiful flower garden, which he called "Adena" meaning "plenty", or "paradise." For that reason McLaughlin gave the name of Adena to the Jefferson County sector where he lived, because he hoped that some day that section would resemble Worthington's garden.
Other settlers arrived and in the years 1825 to 1850 the people received mail twice a week, on horseback, from Smithfield. Later the route was changed and mail came from Wheeling daily. A post office was built in 1855 and it served a large territory. A covered bridge was built in the center of town in 1860. In 1820 a small school was established at Rehoboth which served the community until 1831, when the first school was established at' Adena in a one room building. Before a church was built in the town, the people worshipped at a Presbyterian Church at Beech Springs and a Convant Church on Piney Fork Creek. As early as forty years ago (this was probably about 1895-1900) there was a bank, stores, flourmills, shoe shop, and other places of business in Adena.
With the increase of population, the town was incorporated in 1908, and Bascom Hastings was the first mayor. Through the efforts of W. P. Moore, mayor in 1920, the streets were paved.Adena began booming all due to hard work of its early settlers and soon this mining town would thrive. Settlers came from Pennsylvania and Maryland, mostly of English, German, and Scotch-Irish descent searching for farmland to build new homes. Quakers settled in the east and south ends of Adena. The population increased from 500 in 1908 to 1,500 in 1939.
Edward Hagan, son on Margaret McLaughlin Hagan, had three brothers, Robert, William, and James. Alike his brothers, Edward was a member of the 170th Regiment of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. William perished after a serious battle wound in Perrysville serving in the 98th Regiment of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The Hagans owned and operated Adena's first mill, Hagans Mill.
Margaret McLaughlin B 1809 D1875 was the mother of Edward Hagan and married John Hagan. Her father was John McLaughlin (B 1774 D 1860) and her grandfather was James McLaughlin (B 1743 D 1808)